Since my grandfather began farming in this area over 100 years ago, our family has embraced an environmentally responsible stewardship of the land. Today, we continue this practice with environmentally sensitive building, development and lifestyle practices. I know my grandfather, a warm and generous man, would be proud that his descendants' adherence to this tradition of care is allowing the land's pristine beauty to be enjoyed by guests of the 21st century.
Green practices we've instituted at every level of hotel and restaurant operations help make a real difference for the environment. In addition to recycling bottles, paper, etc. and using virtually no synthetic products of any kind, we have selected the most advanced and efficient products for everyday functions:
- We believe strongly in green space and employ overall low density design.
- Our buildings are planned from the ground up to be energy efficient and to harmonize with the landscape. For example, buildings are sited to take advantage of the sun's heat in winter while minimizing heat gain in summer. Roofs feature extended overhangs, again allowing plenty of warmth into the buildings in winter and blocking excess heat in summer.
- All the materials we use in construction are natural: wood, glass or stone, and the latest insulating and glass technologies are used to reduce energy consumption. Recycled materials are employed creatively as available.
- We have invested in the most environmentally-friendly equipment available. This includes the most advanced septic systems, as well as high efficiency, star-rated appliances that reduce consumption of energy and natural resources while also reducing emissions.
- All rooms are heated by high-efficiency furnaces or fireplaces.
- Wherever practical, we use compact fluorescent bulbs, which require 80% less energy than standard incandescent bulbs.
- Employees drive electric carts on the property, conserving gas.
- Our landscaped areas feature native prairie wildflowers and grasses: Earth's most bio-diverse ecosystem. Fertilizers and pesticides are forbidden here. Whenever trees are removed, we plant native grasses, flowers and plants, resulting in an even smaller carbon footprint for the property.
Our food services are also very green. We support sustainable agriculture by working directly with local farmers, and grow many items right here as well.
Guests can help in our "green" efforts as well when choosing the eco-friendly housekeeping option of fewer towels or linen turnovers to help save energy and water.