ROMANTIC • RESTFUL • RESTORATIVE
• Pristine, private cottages, built for two ♥
• Extensive hiking/snowshoeing trails
• Delicious meals—brought right to you
• Crystal clear lakes + canoes, kayaks, paddle boards
• Awesome garden
Canoe Bay® is 300 secluded acres of beautiful hardwood forest with spring-fed lakes, all teeming with wildlife. The resort is specially designed for adult couples only, who are ready to unplug and be refreshed by beauty at every turn. Each cottage accommodation offers true comfort and relaxation-for-two with such features as fireplace, private deck, and two-person whirlpool tub. Add in the incredible views and...well, the two of you can take it from there! With a great team in the kitchen and dreamy on-site gardens, we specialize in delicious meals delivered right to your door.
We hope you'll think of Canoe Bay as your happy place.
• Some 30 cable TV stations are available in every unit, along with a Blu-ray/DVD player with hundreds of movie titles available for delivery.
• Limited Wi-Fi is available in cottages. Public Wi-Fi access is available as well. Please inquire.
- Wi-Fi is suitable for e-mail, browsing; not suitable for streaming movies.
• Flexible Cancellation
With seven days’ notice of cancellation, your deposit is refundable—less a $50 administration fee—or you may transfer the entire deposit to a voucher toward a future stay. Should you need to cancel last-minute, a voucher is still available. Vouchers are valid for two years.
• Bookings are spaced to allow a min. of 24 hours between occupancies. Each cottage is deep cleaned and sanitized.
• Touch-free Check-in/Check-out 3p/11a (CT)
• Adults only (age 21+)
• All meals are via room service, in eco-friendly containers.
• Fresh housekeeping items are available via a daily delivery/exchange at the cottage door. All cottages have a wet bar with dishware, sink, Dawn dish detergent, etc.
• Public buildings are closed.
• Friendly & helpful Staff members are available at Reception any time.
• 100% Smoke/Flame-free indoors and out; this includes No Candles nor e-cigarettes.
• No Pets
• Each Cottage sleeps one adult couple.
(There are two exceptions: the Edgewood Villa and one Tiny House at CB Escape Village. Each of these has two bedrooms, to sleep up to four adults.)
NOTE: If you are traveling with more than one other couple (party of 5 or more), please CONTACT US prior to booking.
• Deposit amount: 50% (min. one night's lodging)
• In lieu of gratuities, a 20% service charge on all food and beverage menu items is added to final invoice.
• Regarding Wi-Fi: A limited wireless internet connection* is available in each cottage, but cannot be guaranteed. There are three Public Wi-Fi access points, including at the centrally located Reception building.
* great for e-mail and browsing, not-so-much for streaming movies
TINY HOUSES at Canoe Bay
$398 / night
A pair of the original ESCAPE tiny houses, perched on a hill just west of The Inn
TINY HOUSES at CB ESCAPE Village
$348 / night
The Village is a charming tiny house site with units overlooking Mallard Lake, a half-mile northwest of The Inn.
DUPLEX COTTAGE — Deluxe
$398 / night
DUPLEX COTTAGE — Lookout
$480 / night
DUPLEX COTTAGE — Hillside
$480 / night
SIGNATURE COTTAGE — Dream
$550 / night • stand-alone units, offering extra privacy
SIGNATURE COTTAGE — Rattenbury
$650 / night • A stand-alone cottage atop a hill
SIGNATURE COTTAGE — Lakeside
$685 / night • Closest lake views in these stand-alone cottages
SIGNATURE COTTAGE — Treetop
$685 / night • Architecturally dramatic stand-alone lake homes
SIGNATURE COTTAGE — Hilltop
$725 / night • Every upgrade in this stand-alone lake home
The AMAZING Edgewood Villa
$999 / night *
Understated elegance & an idyllic setting...breathtaking!
Architect of Record: Mr. John Rattenbury/Taliesin, Scottsdale, AZ—protégé of Frank Lloyd Wright and namesake of CB's Rattenbury Cottage.
FOOD & WINE
Healthy Ingredients—from our own Garden and local Farms to You
• Chef's delicious In-Room Dinner (currently starting at $48 / person), features the freshest ingredients available in a seasonal multi-choice menu that changes regularly. Many items are sourced from our own on-site garden! --Offered daily except Tue/Wed.--
• Enjoy our Wine Spectator Award-winning collection of fine wines by the bottle, plus artisanal beers, available any time.
• On Casual Wednesdays, through November, a simple Bona Casa pasta supper with roasted garden veg is offered in the evening ($22/person).
• Note: In November, the midweek Casual Supper day(s) will flex (e.g. possibly offering Casual Supper on Mon. &/or Thur. as well as Wed.)
• Dinner is not offered on Tuesdays, year-'round. We can suggest area restaurants within 15–25 min. of Canoe Bay which offer take-out &/or dine-in options.
Dinner service at The Inn's dining room is on hiatus.
Just-brewed coffee is available for delivery daily 'til 1p.
The relaxation and easy pace of Canoe Bay continues through our daytime room service meals.
• You'll arrive to a complimentary collection of simple snacks in your wet bar.
• Chef's Brunch Menu provides delicious options for any appetite, and is available for delivery 'til 1:00p (daily except Tue./Wed., through October).
• On Tuesdays & Wednesdays, our Casual Daytime Menu, featuring ready-to-eat foods for breakfast and lunch, is offered.
• Note: In November, the midweek days on which a Casual Daytime Menu is offered will flex, (e.g. could offer the Casual Daytime foods on Mon. &/or Thurs. as well) but daytime food service will still be offered seven days per week. • In December, on Wednesdays and Thursdays there is no Daytime food service offered.
A Secluded Wonderland
Winter or Summer, always something to do...or not.
Borrow a pair of titanium-frame snowshoes at Reception this winter and head off to explore Canoe Bay's 300 acres...plus the frozen lakes. Or take a drive to the area's well-groomed cross country and downhill ski sites.
The list of summertime activities is nearly endless. Hiking, running or walking on miles of trails; canoeing & kayaking; swimming; lounging by the lake; fishing; biking; exploring the gardens—all on-site. You'll also delight in observing the wide variety of amazing wildlife that call this little piece of paradise home.
Golfing is right nearby, and area fishing guides are available.
NOTE: Canoe Bay maintains a fleet of canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards. Use of personal watercraft in the on-site lakes is not permitted.
Love the indoors? This is Heaven
The astonishing views and charming wildlife are everywhere at Canoe Bay. You'll be delighted to discover how quickly one can decompress.
Favorite guest comments: • We never knew how much we needed to simply relax and unwind in peace. • Canoe Bay is a hug for the soul.
Please note that Canoe Bay's indoor public spaces are currently closed (The Lodge / Fitness Center, The Inn / Dining Room).
Licensed, independent fishing guide Steve Sedani has over 30 years' experience fishing the Chetek Chain of Lakes in his 18' long boat, about 15 min. from Canoe Bay, where walleye, northern, and pan fish await. (www.chetek.com/fishing)
Contact Steve at 715-829-9477 (voice or text) to plan your adventure! His e-dress: email@example.com
Find 20 miles of classic and diagonal stride cross-country ski trails in the Blue Hills, only 25 minutes away (www.bluehillstrail.com). Bring your own xc ski equipment.
No-wait downhill skiing is enjoyed at Christie Mountain, also a 25 minute drive away (www.christiemountain.com), with rental equipment available there.
— NOW BOOKING —
Set up an in-room one-hour Relaxation Massage with a licensed therapist who will come right to your Canoe Bay accommodation. Advance booking required for this service. Consecutive Single massage only ("COUPLES APPTS. ARE NOT BEING OFFERED.)
My husband Dan and I designed Canoe Bay to give couples the perfect getaway. Having lived the high pressure life in Chicago, we "get it." What an amazing blessing to live here. Welcome!
Stan & Mary with chubby little Dan
Over a century ago, Dan’s grandfather, Stan, was floating logs down the Danube River in eastern Europe when he heard that in America the fence posts were made of sausage! Not exactly 'the streets are paved with gold', but for a dirt-poor youth, the mere thought of sausage fence posts was enough to get him on a ship for America.
Not many years later, Stan and his wife Mary settled just a bit east of Canoe Bay. Their family grew to include 10 children and life on their small farm wasn't easy. The lake and wildlife of Canoe Bay were critical to the family’s survival, providing fish, berries, and game year-'round. While they did not own the Canoe Bay property, they loved and cared for it.
The seventh of Stan & Mary’s children was George—Dan’s father. (One of Dan’s earliest memories is fishing with his father and uncle on Canoe Bay's main lake, when, for the first and only time, he actually caught a turtle!) In the 1960’s, a church group acquired the property and developed a summer camp that they operated here for some 20 years before relocating the facility to southeast Wisconsin.
In 1991, George brought to his son's attention that this very special place was for sale, and...18 months later—on May 1, 1993—Dan & Lisa welcomed their first guests to the revamped Lodge at Canoe Bay.
The Inn and the Lodge, with their massive beams and fieldstone fireplaces, are among those original camp buildings.
Maybe the fence posts really are made of sausage!
As with all the best things in life, at the start we had but an inkling of what Canoe Bay might become. Excited by the prospect of preserving a place that held so much meaning for Dan's family, we were further inspired to share it with others whose highly-stressed lifestyles we knew so well. Foregoing our city careers, we made the move to northwest Wisconsin, but hardly imagined that we had begun our life's work.
Today, it is with immense gratitude to Providence, to Dan's parents*, to our stellar staff, and to our amazing and encouraging guests that we are celebrating Canoe Bay's 27th Anniversary year.
—Dan & Lisa
* George († 2012) & Frannie Dobrowolski
Big version of this map is in Galleries (top row, 1st image at left)
Canoe Bay® comprises 23 guest cottages widely spaced about picturesque, spring-fed, and secluded lakes amidst some 300 acres of private forest. Designed especially for couples, you'll find our Cottages and Tiny Houses are all very comfortable...and very private. Details about the amenities are here.
Canoe Bay® hotel is a 300-acre country estate with three private, spring-fed lakes, located in northwestern Wisconsin, off of U.S. Hwy. 53, just outside the town of Chetek. An ideal drive-to destination, we are just 2 hours from Minneapolis, 5 hours from Des Moines, 6 from Chicago, 8.25 from Kansas City. Major highways bring you to within 10 miles of our driveway.
Mpls/St.Paul International Airport (MSP) is just a 2-hour drive (120 miles). For guests connecting in Chicago, United Airlines offers non-stop service from O’Hare to Chippewa Valley Airport (EAU), an hour from us. Private planes should head to the Rice Lake Airport (RIE), 25 minutes away. www.ricelakeaircenter.com
We are always looking for dedicated people who love serving others and wouldn't mind working in paradise.
— Receptionist / Food & Beverage / Housekeeping / Maintenance —
Canoe Bay is open year-'round, and no two days are the same.